Incidence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus in Sickle Cell Patients in the Cape Coast Metropolis, GhanaReportar como inadecuado




Incidence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus in Sickle Cell Patients in the Cape Coast Metropolis, Ghana - Descarga este documento en PDF. Documentación en PDF para descargar gratis. Disponible también para leer online.

Context: Humanimmunodeficiency virus HIV is a well-known pathogen that causes acquiredimmunodeficiency syndrome AIDS. The course of HIV infection and progressionmay be influenced by sickle cell traits. Objectives: The aim of this study wasto determine the incidence of HIV among sickle cell patients in the Cape Coastmetropolis. Methods: A cross sectional study was conducted among patients whovisited the Central Regional Hospital, Cape Coast. About 2 ml of blood samplewas drawn from each participant for sickle cell test using sodiummetabisulphite solution. Sickle cell positive samples were selected and testedfor the presence of HIV using Alere DetermineTM HIV-1-2. Results: A total of 75patients made up of 25 males and 50 females were enrolled. Their age rangesbetween 4 to 59 years 27, 1 - 15 years; 24, 16 - 30 years; 17, 31 - 45 years;7, 46 - 60 years. Fifteen 15 20% had received at least a single bloodtransfusion while the remaining 60 80% had never received blood transfusion beforethe study. Thirty-six patients 48.0% were married and the other 39 patients52.0% were single. Five patients 6.7% had antibodies to HIV whereas 70patients 93.3% were not with the virus. Conclusion: The incidence rate of HIVamong sickle cell trait children and the youths of Cape Coast metropolis werefound to be 6.7%. This may suggest that sickle cell traits in children and theyouth may be associated with HIV transmission.

KEYWORDS

HIV, Sickle Cell Disease, Incidence, Prevalence

Cite this paper

Baah, A. , Azumah, D. , Ampiah, C. , Boampong, J. and Nuvor, S. 2014 Incidence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus in Sickle Cell Patients in the Cape Coast Metropolis, Ghana. World Journal of AIDS, 4, 338-345. doi: 10.4236-wja.2014.43040.





Autor: Amaris T. D. Baah, Daniel E. Azumah, Charles Ampiah, Johnson Boampong, Samuel V. Nuvor

Fuente: http://www.scirp.org/



DESCARGAR PDF




Documentos relacionados