Preliminary study of binary protein adsorption system and potential bioseparation under homogeneous field of shear in airlift biocontactorReportar como inadecuado




Preliminary study of binary protein adsorption system and potential bioseparation under homogeneous field of shear in airlift biocontactor - Descarga este documento en PDF. Documentación en PDF para descargar gratis. Disponible también para leer online.

This paper investigates the bioseparation of binaryprotein mixtures using polystyrene based anion exchange resin. Adsorptionexperiments were conducted in batch mode using draft-tube internally recirculatedair lift biocontactor in comparison with the conventional shake flask batchadsorption equilibrium experiments. Binary protein mixtures contained bovineserum albumin BSA and bovine haemoglobin BHb at different initial fractions.Results from single solute adsorption experiments in biocontactor showed thatboth proteins were equally adsorbed onto the resin with equilibrium reached inan equal time period. This represents similar affinities towards the negativelycharged resin surface, although BSA was expected to adsorb through specificforces. Adsorption results showed that BSA has hindered the BHb adsorption inthe biocontactor, although adsorption of both proteins was equally hindered inthe shake flasks adsorption experiments. Moreover, adsorption of BHb wasinhibited up to 29% in the presence of BSA compared to the adsorption of BHbfrom a solution containing single solute of BHb at the same initialconcentration. Similarly, the presence of BHb has hindered the adsorption ofBSA by 59%. Adsorptions of both BSA and BHb from binary solution when eachformed 75% initial fraction while the other protein formed the remaining 25%were relatively low with equilibrium reached in shorter time. Moreover,considerable amount of proteins remained in the solution, which demonstratesthat multilayer adsorption most likely didn’t occur at the relatively smallprotein concentrations used in the present study. In general, the higheradsorption of BHb can also be related to the compressibility of its moleculeswhich allowed for higher adsorption capacity. The homogeneous and lower shearenvironment in the airlift biocontactor compared to the other conventionalbatch adsorption in shake flask reduced the compressibility of BHb that causedhigher BSA adsorption from binary solutions of BSA and BHb, which allowed forbetter bioseparation of both proteins.

KEYWORDS

Protein Purification; Protein Adsorption; Hindrance in Adsorption; Conformation; Binary Protein Adsorption

Cite this paper

Dahman, Y. and Jayasuriya, K. 2013 Preliminary study of binary protein adsorption system and potential bioseparation under homogeneous field of shear in airlift biocontactor. Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology, 4, 710-718. doi: 10.4236-abb.2013.46094.





Autor: Yaser Dahman, Kithsiri E. Jayasuriya

Fuente: http://www.scirp.org/



DESCARGAR PDF




Documentos relacionados