Congenital Rubella Syndrome in Fiji, 1995–2010Reportar como inadecuado

Congenital Rubella Syndrome in Fiji, 1995–2010 - Descarga este documento en PDF. Documentación en PDF para descargar gratis. Disponible también para leer online.

Journal of Tropical MedicineVolume 2013 2013, Article ID 956234, 5 pages

Research Article

Health Information Unit, Division of Health Information, Research and Analysis, Ministry of Health, Government Buildings, P.O. Box 2223, Suva, Fiji

Family Health Programme, Public Health Division, Ministry of Health, Government Buildings, P.O. Box 2223, Suva, Fiji

Operational Research, Medical Department, Operational Centre of Brussels, Medecins Sans Frontieres Luxembourg MSFL, 1617 Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Missenden Road, P.O. Box M77, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia

Department of Respiratory Medicine, Liverpool Hospital, Locked Bag 7103, Liverpool, NSW BC 1871, Australia

Received 25 September 2012; Accepted 2 January 2013

Academic Editor: Peter Leggat

Copyright © 2013 Sheetalpreet Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.


Setting. A nationwide study in Fiji. Objective. To describe the incidence of congenital rubella syndrome CRS and its relationship to the incidence of notified cases of rubella in Fiji from 1995 to 2010. Design. Descriptive, retrospective review of all recorded congenital abnormalities associated with live births in Fiji over 16 years. Results. There were 294 infants who met the criteria for CRS. Of these, 95% were classified as “suspected” cases, 5% were “clinically confirmed,” and none were “laboratory confirmed cases”. There was a significant linear increase over the study period in the incidence of CRS odds ratio 1.045 per year, 95% CI 1.019 to 1.071, . There was no significant association between the incidence of CRS and the reported incidence of rubella . Conclusion. There is a rising trend in reports of suspected CRS cases in Fiji. This highlights the need to strengthen surveillance for CRS through improvements in clinical and laboratory diagnosis to confirm or exclude suspected cases. It is also important to ensure high coverage of rubella vaccination in Fiji.

Autor: Sheetalpreet Singh, Frances Bingwor, Katherine Tayler-Smith, Marcel Manzi, and Guy B. Marks



Documentos relacionados