Wireless Capsule Endoscopy for Obscure Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Single Center, One Year ExperienceReportar como inadecuado




Wireless Capsule Endoscopy for Obscure Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Single Center, One Year Experience - Descarga este documento en PDF. Documentación en PDF para descargar gratis. Disponible también para leer online.

Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology - Volume 18 2004, Issue 9, Pages 559-565

Original Article The Center for Therapeutic Endoscopy and Endoscopic Oncology, St Michael’s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Received 25 February 2004; Accepted 11 May 2004

Copyright © 2004 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This open-access article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License CC BY-NC http:-creativecommons.org-licenses-by-nc-4.0-, which permits reuse, distribution and reproduction of the article, provided that the original work is properly cited and the reuse is restricted to noncommercial purposes.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Wireless capsule endoscopy CE is increasingly being used in the investigation of obscure gastrointestinal GI bleeding, but some studies have found that many of the bleeding lesions recognized by this technique are within the reach of conventional endoscopy.

METHODS: The results of CE performed in the authors- centre in a 12 month period for obscure GI bleeding were retrospectively reviewed.

RESULTS: Of the 46 patients with obscure GI bleeding, CE found a definite or probable cause in 19 41% and a possible cause in another 10 22%, with an overall diagnostic yield of 63%. One of these lesions was found to be within reach of conventional gastroscopy, two were within reach of push enteroscopy, four were within reach of colonoscopy and one was within reach of retrograde enteroscopy through a stoma. The percentage of patients with a bleeding source within reach of routine endoscopy but missed during pre-CE endoscopy was significantly higher for those patients having endoscopy only in the community 30% eight of 27 versus in the authors- centre 0% zero of 19.

CONCLUSIONS: CE was valuable for diagnosing bleeding lesions not only within the small bowel, but also in the stomach and colon. However -second-look- endoscopy may be considered before ordering CE for obscure GI bleeding when local expertise is available.





Autor: Shou-jiang Tang, Dimitrios Christodoulo, Simon Zanati, Elena Dubcenco, Rima Petroniene, Maria Cirocco, Gabor Kandel, Gregory B Ha

Fuente: https://www.hindawi.com/



DESCARGAR PDF




Documentos relacionados