Cost analysis and exploratory cost-effectiveness of youth-friendly sexual and reproductive health services in the Republic of MoldovaReportar como inadecuado




Cost analysis and exploratory cost-effectiveness of youth-friendly sexual and reproductive health services in the Republic of Moldova - Descarga este documento en PDF. Documentación en PDF para descargar gratis. Disponible también para leer online.

BMC Health Services Research

, 14:316

Utilization, expenditure, economics and financing systems

Abstract

BackgroundYouth-friendly sexual and reproductive health services YFHS have high priority in many countries. Yet, little is known about the cost and cost-effectiveness of good quality YFHS in resource limited settings. This paper analyses retrospectively costs and potential cost-effectiveness of four well performing youth-friendly health centres YFHC in Moldova. This study assesses: 1 what were the costs of YFHSs at centre level, 2 how much would scaling-up to a national good quality YFHS programme cost, and 3 was the programme potentially cost-effective?

MethodsFour well performing YFHCs were selected for the study. YFHS costs were analysed per centre, funding source, service and person reached. The costing results were extrapolated to estimate cost of a good quality national YFHS programme in Moldova. A threshold analysis was carried out to estimate the required impact level for the YFHSs to break-even become cost saving.

ResultsAverage annual cost of a well performing YFHC was USD 26,000 in 2011. 58% was financed by the National Health Insurance Company and the rest by external donors 42%. Personnel salaries were the largest expense category 47%. The annual implementation costs of a good quality YFHSs in all 38 YFHCs of Moldova were estimated to be USD 1.0 million. The results of the threshold analysis indicate that the annual break-even impact points in a YFHC for: 1 STI services would be >364 averted STIs, 2 early pregnancy and contraceptive services >178 averted unwanted pregnancies, and 3 HIV services only >0.65 averted new HIV infections.

ConclusionsThe costing results highlight the following: 1 significant additional resources would be required for implementation of a good quality national YFHS programme, 2 the four well performing YFHCs rely heavily on external funding 42%, 3 which raises questions about financial sustainability of the programme. At the same time results of the threshold analysis are encouraging. The result suggest that, together the three SRH components STI, early pregnancy and contraception, and HIV are potentially cost saving. High cost savings resulting from averted lifetime treatment cost of HIV infected persons are likely to off-set the costs of STIs and unwanted pregnancies.

KeywordsAdolescent Youth-friendly Centre Sexual Reproductive health Prevention Cost Scale-up Cost-effectiveness Electronic supplementary materialThe online version of this article doi:10.1186-1472-6963-14-316 contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users.

Jari Kempers, Evert Ketting contributed equally to this work.

Download fulltext PDF



Autor: Jari Kempers - Evert Ketting - Galina Lesco

Fuente: https://link.springer.com/







Documentos relacionados