Predictive factors for the success of McRoberts’ manoeuvre and suprapubic pressure in relieving shoulder dystocia: a cross-sectional studyReportar como inadecuado




Predictive factors for the success of McRoberts’ manoeuvre and suprapubic pressure in relieving shoulder dystocia: a cross-sectional study - Descarga este documento en PDF. Documentación en PDF para descargar gratis. Disponible también para leer online.

BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth

, 16:334

Labor, delivery, and postpartum health

Abstract

BackgroundMcRoberts’ and suprapubic pressure are often recommended as the initial choices of manoeuvres to manage shoulder dystocia, as they are believed to be less invasive compared to other manoeuvres. However, their success rates range from 23 to 40 %. This study aims to investigate the predictive factors for the success of McRoberts’ manoeuvre with or without suprapubic pressure M+-−S.

MethodsAll cases of shoulder dystocia in a tertiary hospital in South East Asia were recruited from 1995 to 2009. Subjects were analysed according to either ‘success’ or ‘failure’ of M+-−S. Maternal and fetal antenatal and intrapartum factors were compared by univariate and multivariate analysis.

ResultsAmong 198 cases of shoulder dystocia, M+-−S as the primary manoeuvre was successful in 25.8 %. The other 74.2 % needed either rotational or posterior arm manoeuvres or combination of manoeuvres. Instrumental delivery was the single most significant factor associated with an increased risk of failed M+-−S on logistic regression p < 0.001, OR 4.88, 95 % CI 2.05–11.60. The success rate of M+-−S was only 15.0 % if shoulder dystocia occurred after instrumental delivery but was 47.7 % after spontaneous vaginal delivery.

ConclusionsWhen shoulder dystocia occurs after instrumental vaginal delivery, the chance of failure of M+-−S is 85 %, which is 4.7 times higher than that after spontaneous vaginal delivery. Hence all operators performing instrumental delivery should be proficient in performing all manoeuvres to relieve shoulder dystocia when M+-−S cannot do so.

KeywordsMcRoberts’ manoeuvre Suprapubic pressure Shoulder dystocia Instrumental delivery Vacuum extraction AbbreviationsBMIBody mass index

CIConfidence interval

M+-−SMcRoberts’ manoeuvre with or without suprapubic pressure

OROdds ratio

vs.Versus

Download fulltext PDF



Autor: Zara Lin Zau Lok - Yvonne Kwun Yue Cheng - Tak Yeung Leung

Fuente: https://link.springer.com/



DESCARGAR PDF




Documentos relacionados